Monday, May 16, 2016

Actions, Deeds, and Examples

I really believe that Jesus wants us to be a good example for others.  A real example, not a fake one. An honest-to-goodness, "Oh my word, she's a great person.  I want that light that she has too."   We forget to do things with thanks, don't we?  We're busy, we're crabby, we're irritated at the "thing" that's not working right for us. 

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
                                               Colossians 3:17 NIV

This would be so easy if we kept Jesus at the center of our hearts and minds every day.  Oh but those dang distractions!  The house payment, the dried oatmeal on our kid's shirt before school (yes, I let her wear it anyway), the million things on our to-do lists.

But we don't, do we?  Our actions and deeds speak so much more loudly than our words ever could.  Haven't you ever gotten that fakey-fake "I'm sorry" from someone because it's expected instead of it being heartfelt.  Have you ever GIVEN one of those fake "I'm sorry" cards out to someone.  Of course you have, and I have too, kids.  It's the easy way.

When I'm feeling myself slipping away from God, there's only one thing I can do to pull myself back.  Read His words.  Practice His principles.  BE MORE SELFLESS.  Setting myself a certain time to spend time reading the Bible and actually THINKING about it is so valuable to me.  Often this has to happen when I'm alone with a good cup of coffee.  I'm pretty sure Jesus would be an awesome coffee-drinking partner.  So I share a cup with Him.  I tell Him what's going on in my life and thank Him for all my blessings.

If we let people see our faith through our words and actions, we are spreading God's love all around us!

What do you do that helps you to make your actions and deeds more in tune with and in the name of God?


No comments:

Post a Comment